I fall in and out of love with my apartment daily. It’s one of those “the grass is always greener” situations, you know? On the one hand, my apartment in the West Loop felt like a little white box. It didn’t have any character and it was so insanely loud. But on the flip side, it had an updated kitchen and a 24 hour maintenance team that would come in and fix things on the spot. Now, my little abode in Gold Coast is so old that things are breaking left and right, things can’t be fixed right away, I can’t get the heat to distribute evenly from the living room into the bedroom.. but on the flip side, the streets are SO quiet (and beautiful), I’m right by the water, it’s SO cozy, and the bones of this place could not be any sweeter.
With the little frustrations I have around my current living situation (and some computer malfunctions aka: Mercury Retrograde issues centering around all things technology), it felt like the perfect time to do a Short List of Gratitude post because hell, I need it right about now ;)
So let’s jump in!
A few things I’m grateful for right now
1. First thing’s first, my second oldest sister is having another baby! This puts me at NINE nieces and nephews and my heart can’t take it. To be honest, this was a total surprise to us, and it was the best surprise ever because I thought I was done being an aunt. My sisters have all said that they’re done, but sometimes life has other plans and BAM, just like that, a tiny miracle. We’ll find out at Thanksgiving the gender.
2. Normally I’m all about black out shades in the bedroom, but I’ve yet to pull the plug on buying any and for now just have white sheers over my windows. Any sort of light coming into my bedroom at night drives me a little crazy (my last place had this insane street light that would light up my whole room), but now? I have a little night light and it’s THE MOON. When I lay on my right side, I can see her through the window perfectly, and it feels magical.
3. Alexa’s “joke of the day” option. Come winter, I’m a little less chipper of a morning person (I get really bad winter blues — but am looking into buying THIS so I’ll let you know how/if it works!) and one of the sweet little ways I’m trying to wake up on the “right side of the bed” is by asking Alexa to tell me the joke of the day first thing.
4. My clients who keep coming back year after year. As an artist, I just can’t even put into words what it means to have reoccurring clients. It’s the biggest compliment and blessing, and few things leave me feeling more grateful than getting emails with subjects lines “IT’S THAT TIME AGAIN!” It fills me up to my core, and I’m constantly reminded as to why I’m doing this — and I owe every inch of my success to them — both old and new clients.
5. Reese Witherspoon’s new show on Netflix, Shine On. At first I was hesitant because the title sounded a little cheesy, but then I put it on while editing one day and I could. not. stop. It’s incredible, so powerful, and it had me in tears. It’s an important time for the light to be on powerful, inspiring women, and I really hope it continues. The interviews are super relaxed, sometimes hilarious, and always moving. If you haven’t watched it yet, I highly recommend it. (It will come as NO surprise that Glennon Doyle’s episode is my favorite, as she’s my favorite human)
I could go on and on, but these are the top few things on my list right now as I sit here amongst my candles and twinkle lights at 7pm (when it feels like 11pm because it’s been dark since 3, ha!) Within the next few days I’m hoping to get out some holiday content because putting together Gift Guides on the blog is one of my favorite things to do around the holidays. It’s a tough time of year for me and my family with the anniversary of my dad passing, and it really does bring me a lot of joy to be able to produce fun gift ideas and remind myself that it’s OKAY to be happy, to feel joy and sorrow at the same time, and to find the fun in gifting to the people that we love — even if I’m without one of them.
Talk soon. x
PS: the Decluttering Course is going to be officially announced SO SOON!
If you want to be eligible for the discount pricing, be sure to sign up for the FREE 7 Day Declutter Challenge first! This will put you on the email list for early bird access!