One of the most difficult things about changing your life is finding the inspiration – and if you have, finding inspiration that actually sticks. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve wanted to do something and felt like I was going to blow through the roof because I was so excited and motivated, only for a week to pass and realize that I was feeling less and less enthused, and almost entirely forgot what it was I wanted to do in the first place. Anyone else? Have you been there?
Slow, calm and intentional living is a whole different story, of course. It’s something that stuck (thank goodness), and something I take seriously. I wanted to share some books with all of you who may have interest in this way of living, but maybe just aren’t sure where to start. These books are SO helpful for so many reasons. I’ve actually re-read all of them more than once (I’m on Essentialism right now for the 3rd time!) Get your highlighters ready, because you’ll be marking them up like a storm.
The 5 books that will help you on your path to simple living (and why)
- Do Less | This book by Rachel Jonat is so straight forward, simply written, and easy to understand. This was the very first book that I read on the subject, and I immediately started taking action before I was even finished. It’s a bible of sorts, and it’s something I’ll often have in my bag just to reference throughout the day, if needed.
- Present Over Perfect | This book is a little religious which isn’t usually for me, but it was subtle and wasn’t the main focus. So don’t be discouraged if that isn’t your cup of tea. I absolutely LOVED the gentle approach this book takes – and I often found myself in a meditative state while reading. What’s nice is that the book is so relatable, as Shauna Niequist talks about her own struggles with living a chaotic life, and learning how to slow down.
- Kinfolk Home: Slow Living | This may seem like an odd choice, but the Kinfolk Home: Interiors of Slow Living is so lovely and I highly recommend having this on hand. Not only is it a beautiful coffee table book that’s perfect for some lovely home decor, but it serves as a reminder to slow down, since I see it multiple times each day. I also love flipping through the pages when I’m having a little work break. * also a lovely house warming gift for friends & family
- Essentialism | If you’re only going to read one of these books, read this one. It’s, well, essential ;) It may sound a bit dramatic to say that a book changed my life – but this one did (and continues to do so). There are SO many “ah-ha” moments you’ll find yourself nodding at each page, dog-earring the corners, and running out of highlighter juice. This has completely transformed not only the way I live my life, but how I handle situations in my business as well. A must, must read :) * also a great gift for friends & family
- Eat Yourself Calm | This book was such a lucky find while I was on a trip a while back and stopped into a little bookstore. It initially caught my attention due to the world “Calm” – since that’s my word (and mood) of choice – but once I started flipping through the pages, I knew she had to come home with me. You’ve heard it before – so much of what we put into our bodies affects our health and with that, our mood. This book highlights key ingredients that are beneficial for having a healthy immune system, but more than that, a stress free demeanor. They break down each core ingredient, and also provide a slew of amazing recipes as well.
Here are a few other recommendations: